Needless to say that the English language has already become the global language in a true sense. To put it differently English has become a tool to help you achieve your dreams. Nobody wants himself/herself to be termed as someone who doesn’t know English. Hope this list of 15 best English language learning websites would help significantly to students, working professionals or to any seeker.
Thousands of websites, books, courses, and educational institutes, claim that they can make you an expert in the English language but very few own such quality and capability. If you want to learn or polish your English language skills (listening, reading, writing & spoken), then these paramount educational English learning websites may help immensely with their content including audio/video/videos.
You should wisely use these powerful & best of the websites/tools with a disciplined English learning schedule. Further, you won’t need any other websites or course to become an expert in English language learning.
Before we start, it is important to know about the level of your English proficiency. Straightaway, test your English level at the British Council English Learning portal. Henceforth you can plan your learning as per your English proficiency level.
This list of best English learning websites are must-have tools for every person who wants to develop superb reading-writing & speaking skills of the English language. Visit them thoroughly and pick a couple of websites accordingly, which work best for you.
You may also read – Superbly Helping English Paraphrasing tool/Article Rewriter
10 Best educational English Language Learning Websites
British Council is the UK’s international organization for relations and educational opportunities. A wide range of English learning resources for children, teens, and adults are being offered on the British Council websites. This is one of the most visited websites for content related to learning English.
One can enhance the English learning skills by developing reading, writing, listening and speaking skills through this platform.
How to use British Council English Learning:
|1. Check your level of English proficiency.|
2. Go on with content which is relevant to your proficiency.
3. Develop your reading, writing, listening and speaking skills.
4. Download the British Council’s Android/iOS mobile apps for the following:-
– Johnny Grammar’s Word Challenge for interesting 60-second games/quizzes.
– Improve your English listening skills with Learn English Audio and Video mobile app & English Podcasts.
– Android mobile apps for English learning videos.
– LearnEnglish Sounds Right
5. Check MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) offered by the British Council. These free short courses are open to anyone.
British Council offers these courses on UK’s first MOOC platform-Future Learn for free. Future Learn is a well known global e-learning courses provider.
As per Future Learn, it delivers the largest MOOC ever with more than 440,000 learners convene for English language learning. (Source: FutureLearn)
You may register for Free with Future Learn for these Famous English Learning courses, in partnership with British Council:
– Understanding IELTS: Techniques for English Language Tests
– English in Early Childhood: Language Learning and Development
– Exploring English: Shakespeare
BBC is the world’s leading and well known public service broadcaster, then what they are doing here? Well, they are also into English teaching. As mentioned on its website, BBC Learning English is a part of the BBC World Service devoted to English language teaching.
Get authentic English learning experience with BBC learning.
How to use BBC learning English:
|– It is recommended to use BBC English learning on your PC. However, you can also download its Android & iOS mobile apps.|
– Access easy learning articles, tests, spoken English video/videos, small learning courses (like 6-minute grammar, vocabulary, etc.) and much more interesting material for free.
Check their long-running series, find as below:
6 Minute English– About topical discussion and new vocabulary. Check pre-2014 archives here.
The English We Speak: Learn the latest English words and phrases by this 3-minute audio series and impress others.
Lingohack: Listen and watch BBC world news to learn key words and phrases & understand news in a better way.
You can find out more about the courses here.
It’s a must-have tool for every single person using Personal or office computer. Get real-time feedback/suggestions on whatever you are writing in English and doing silly grammatical mistakes. Gradually you’ll learn what mistakes you are making and how to correct them.
It’s surelly a powerful English language writing assistant for everyone.
Grammarly is equally useful for individuals and organisations.
How to use Grammarly:
|Create a free account, go to dashboard/Apps and download the Chrome, Windows and MS Office web extensions.|
Free plan does critical grammar and spelling checks. Once you log-in & install this extension, you’ll wonder what silly mistakes you are doing in sentence structure, grammar & vocabulary. It’ll soon become your writing companion.
If you want to access it from mobile devices, you need to subscribe to Premium/Business. Premium version will also provide access to best-in-class AI system for writing correction and improvement.
Though subscribing to Premium or business plan is not free, besides it surely worth more than its price.
If you visualize that your average or poor English writing skills are affecting you badly, then we suggest going for Premium or Business plan for these benefits:
- Advanced checks for sentence structure, punctuation, context & even for writing style.
- Vocabulary enhancement suggestions
- Plagiarism detector – checks more than 16 billion web pages.
- Most compelling evidence of its effectiveness is that, as per Grammarly, 99% of students benefitted with improved writing grades. Grammarly also boasts 85% of its users have become
- 400+ writing checks.
We suggest you signup & start with free plan and experience it. A few days later once you experience it, you may opt for
Cambridge is also a pioneer in English language learning, just like
Because of its wide acceptability, Cambridge exams are recognized by over 20,000 institutes & organizations worldwide. Apart from many English proficiency levels exams, Cambridge English also provides diploma and degree.
How to use Cambridge English websites:
|There are mainly two Cambridge websites for English learning:|
2. Cambridge University Press
While later one provides information about its books and publication, you need to use the former one for English Learning.
– Do check some best-selling & must-read books here
Cambridge Assessment Portal is useful mainly for learning of UK English.
– Check its popular and very useful tests
– You can surely find free elementary English learning resources by just filtering, what exactly you want from here.
– Have fun with English by using its games/puzzles.
– Must use for all – Check it’s another portal Write & Improve, a free tool to get automatic grades and feedback for English writing.
Submit your writing work and get the grades on it from A1 (lowest) to C2 (highest).
It also provides feedback on parts of your text, where improvement is needed.
Write & Improve, also offers some paid tools like Test zone (for IELTS preparation) & Class view for teachers.
– Virtually Anywhere is useful to improve your English listening skills.
– Test your English here for free.
5. English Central:
By simply putting in words, one can say in general that, it is English learning by videos. But once you understand it, you will be amazed that, how beautifully it has been done.
English Central has particularly filled a much-needed gap by the way they are teaching. Indeed, it’s an all-around, powerful way of learning English. Real-life experience may help you to understand English in a
Indeed, I was not aware of its scale, see it’s partners. That is why I have to believe that this is going to be something big!
Markedly, English Central has been adopted in 800 Universities across the globe. English Central has also partnered with world’s largest private and online English language schools.
How to use English Central:
|Learning mechanism involves four steps below:|
1. Watch the video/videos (owing to the plan you choose), which is being provided once/twice a day for learning and spoken English. Listen carefully.
2. Understand the accent and pronounced words, fill in the blanks while interacting with video.
3. Speak the words and sentences with correct pronunciation and get instant feedback on it.
4. Finally Golive with the private tutor for a one-to-one conversation about the same video (spoken English).
Basically, it’s a paid course. You may register for free and get two videos & one trial lesson.
If your pocket allows, join English Central for a limited period and see the improvement.
Check plans here.
English Live has created an impressive English language learning platform, with over five decades of teaching experience.
It is important to realize that EF provides unique experience of technology and personalised support in learning English.
Winner of 2018 Gold Award for learning for its investment in innovation, learner-centric approach and clear and measurable impact delivery. English Live has won many such awards for teaching English.
One of the biggest assets for English live is markedly its thousands of professionally qualified bilingual teachers to help you learn English.m
How to use EF English Live:
|1. Check your present level of English, accordingly, you may personalize the course by setting the goals.|
2. The course is divided into 16 levels and get EF certified thereupon completion of each level, check 16 levels here.
3. It uses advanced speech recognition system to make your English learning practice easier and effective, besides having fun.
Get personalized feedback straightaway after completing the exercise.
4. Further gain confidence in personalized live private or group class.
5. On completion of all levels, get the diploma/certificate, which is widely accepted in educational institutes and organizations.
6. Though content could be accessed once you subscribe to it, still you may access free content like – free quizzes for English practice
In fact, Engvid is one of the best websites for English learning by videos. You will surely be impressed with the huge collection
As can be seen on its website that, Engvid has covered every essential aspect of English learning.
Not only it is free but also maintained quality content. However it is not an advertise free platform.
How to use Engvid
|– It is advised to start with grammar or pronunciation, however, if you are good in both you may start from wherever you want.|
– Subscribe to its Facebook page, to get regular feed.
– Also check its resources page.
You may also read
Voice of Ameria (VOA) is a US government-funded international multimedia agency. Needless to
It is an innovative effort to teach the latest and current affairs English by videos. Important to realize that VOA English program offers lively, entertaining content to teach English.
Do make it a habit to regularly visit this portal and grasp English content unconsciously. Once you make it a habit to visit this site, in reality, you may not even realize that you have learned it by just having fun.
How to use Voanews English Learning
|– Check your level with this interesting test.|
– Beginner level is divided into level 1 and level 2.
Let’s have a look at this lesson from level 1. Important to realize here that how beautifully they have made this a light mood learning cum entertainment. That too with video transcript, it’s an added bonus.
Though this particular video is just for a beginner but provides a glimpse of learning.
New words videos explaining a new word or a phrase used in a new story video.
– Intermediate & Advanced level offers great quality content.
– English in a minute, English @ the Movies and Everyday Grammar TV are its interesting English learning video series.
It is more than an English Language Learning tool. You will be given tasks, which you have to complete like a game. It focuses more on complete sentence formation. It truly makes English learning work still it charges nothing. In effect, Duolingo became quite popular.
This website is not for you if your native language is English and you want to learn the advanced level of the same language. It is not designed like that.
This is for you if you want to learn English as your second language. And you can learn till the intermediate level of English here. For advanced level learning of English, you may check EF English Live.
Rest assured that you’ll love the entire process.
How to use Duolingo:
|– Choose your native language as your language. Obviously, the target language is English.|
– Do not just sped through the course, instead, give it time to let you learn the language.
– Try not to complete the two lesson in a day. You may re-do the lessons on the same day evening/night, in order to develop your understanding.
– Along with Duolingo, use some additional source to improve your vocabulary/pronunciation.
Great platform to claim your
It is a community, where people interact, post questions & answers and get the right answer, usually placed at the top.
How to use Stackexchange:-
|– Have a look at all StackExchange sites here|
– For English there are particularly two English sites:
1. English Language and usage – more than 100K+ questions asked.
Go to user page here.
2. English language learners – more than 60k+ questions asked.
– For usually every StackExchange site/community, you need to understand a few things.
They have a reputation rating/numbering system to emphasize the user reputation. As per this system, based on the performance of a user, two types of reputation marks are shown. Firstly for a month and secondly the total reputation marks.
Have a look at the sample activity page, where you can visualize your and other users progress. You will be motivated to get more reputation marks and hence your English activity level will be increased.
Here ESOL refers to English for Speakers of Other Languages(ESOL), which probably explains, why you are here.
Esolcourses offers a great collection of free courses. The course is designed with the level starting from beginners to Advanced level, with total 5 levels.
These are free to understand and provides the clarity of course content. Course content is designed in a way that it doesn’t look boring. Every level
How to use:
|– Check sitemap to see the website content details.|
– You need not to signup or login, just browse the content and start with your choice of topics.
– Esolcourses is just for learning
12. Lyrics Training
Everybody knows that English is a de facto global language. There are countries where even 1% of the people do not speak English as a first language. For instance, in India, first language speakers for the English language are just 0.02% of the total population. Still, a whopping 125 million Indians, 12.18% of the population speaks English (source: wikipedia).
As can be seen, all second and third language speakers of the English language find it fairly difficult to understand the English used in Hollywood movies or in the music album.
Therefore you need something, which can help you to understand the sounds and words of English as a foreign language. In that case, we suggest you use Lyrics Training.
Here Lyrics Training is going to help you especially to recognize the sounds and words of US and UK English in a short span of time.
Though it is not a fully-fledged course for learning English, you should use this as a supporting tool. It is completely free to use and a lot of fun.
How to use:
|– Though you may continue without registration if you creating an account, it will help you see the progress.|
– As per your level of English, select the game mode.
– Once you select the video and play it, video lyrics appear just below it. Suddenly it stops playing, here you need to fill the missing word. Let’s say if the word is ‘jungle’, for first fill, it won’t accept any letter except ‘j’. Do not get confused whether keyboard interface is working or not if you type a different word for that order.
– If you don’t know the word, just click on ‘give up‘, and it will be shown to you.
– You may compete with other users or even with your friends, to make it more fun and competition.
This website is presented by the person, who is popularly known as the world’s no-1 English teacher, AJ Hoge audios could be downloaded free of charge.
How to use Effortless English Podcast:
|– Either you just drop in on the website and start listening podcasts on a regular basis to enhance your English learning skills.|
– Go to Categories and choose interesting ones like vocabulary, videos, vidcast, conversations. Surely all these audio and video will help to not only improve your listening skills but also spoken and writing English.
– Download mp3 files and store them in USB drive folders and listen to them while driving, traveling or even in your room.
It provides excellent learning resources for all age-groups, teaching resources and much more.
Here you can find the information related to English Language Learning books and multimedia tools.
How to use Oxford University Press:
|– English File an important tool of Oxford University Press, which improves students’ speaking skills.|
As per this Oxford University Press page, “90% of teachers worldwide who took part in an Oxford Impact study believe that English File improves students’ speaking skills”.
– Oxford English Testing to improve your exam technique with Oxford University Press’s different website specially designed for online practice tests
– Oxford English Vocabulary mobile app, which has won the Silver Award for Excellence in the design of learning content.
Check all other Oxford University Press, mobile apps here.
– Oxford University Press ELT Youtube channel for videos about English language learning and teaching
Italki is one of the best platforms to learn English as a second language or foreign language.
It has users from all over the world with over 5 million students and 10K high-quality teachers. Unlike many other platforms, Italki ensures that you are going to learn English either from a professional or a native teacher. Hence Italki has set some standards for the quality of teachers
If you are more comfortable with a person to person interaction between a student and a tutor, then Italki is a great platform to learn English.
Check some best rated English teachers for learning here.
Some other notable sites:
- Wyzant (A great student & tutor’s 1-to-1 interaction platform to learn english) – Paid
- Preply : Student tutor, one-to-one interaction for English learning – Paid
- Memrise (For vocabulary/flash cards) – Free
- News in Levels (English learning by current affairs news videos. Same video for three proficiency levels) – Free
- Rosetta Stone (English learning as a foreign or second language) – Paid
- English Page (English learning) – Free
- Perfect English Grammar (For grammar) – Free & paid both
- Fluentu (English learning as a foreign or second language) – Paid
Happy English learning and wish you best in your voyage!
- Must have Cheap Cloud Drive Storage for you
- Powerful English learning Professional courses to boost your career
- Superbly Helping English Paraphrasing tool / Article Rewriter
- Incredible Ways? How to earn & make quick money from Photoshop/Photo editing skills
- How to start a successful Youtube Channel & make money- Youtuber video tools || Beginners
- Best Professional Photo Editing Service Websites/Software