#best books for IAS prelims, Best books for
UPSC Civil Services which is popular among Indians as
Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT)
|Date of exam||June 2, 2019|
Registration for IAS Prelims, Begin from February 19, 2019
|Scheme of exam||– Divided in Paper-I and Paper-II|
– 2 papers of 200 marks each
– All questions will be objective in nature
– Time allotted for both paper is 2 hours each.
– Marks obtained in Paper 1 will be counted for the merit rank to qualify for mains
– Negative marking (1/3 or 0.33, as the penalty)
| Paper 1||General Ability Test (GAT) |
Total questions- 100
1. Current events of national and international importance
2. History of India and Indian National Movement
3. Indian Polity and Governance Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, and Rights Issues etc.
4. Economic and Social Development?Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, and General issues on Environmental ecology
5. General Science
6. Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World
7. Biodiversity and Climate Change
|Paper 2||English Language and Aptitude|
Total questions- 80
(Candidate must score at least 33% marks in this paper and marks of this paper not to be counted for writing the Mains examination)
2. Logical reasoning and analytical ability
3. Decision making and problem-solving
General mental ability
4. Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude etc.) (Class X level)
5. Data Interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
6. English Language Comprehension skills (Class X level)
7. Questions relating to English Language Comprehension skills of Class X level.
We have brought here a well-researched list of books, you can rely upon for Civil Services Preliminary Examination.
We have divided the books in three parts:
- Subject Books (essential)
- Books which provide Satellite view and understanding of the examination
- Know-how of Civil Services Examination
Most of these books are bestsellers of the category and highly recommended by toppers.
You must take note of a few things here and must plan your strategy with the tried and tested approach which has benefitted thousands of IAS aspirants. You need to plan, customize and prepare accordingly.
- Start with the Basic NCERT level Books.
- Read the Standard Reference Books.
- Most crucial Mantra for Success – Read with as minimum books as possible but read and re-read them till you master them.
- Set realistic Short term and Long term Targets and try to be successful in finishing them within the timeframe.
- Do not waste your time reading anything, it is equally important to know ‘what not to read’.
- You must know the techniques of reading effectively (making notes, timely revision etc.) in order to remember the key areas in minimum efforts.
- Revise all below-mentioned subject books 3-4 times without fail.
Subscribe here to get Articles diretly in your Inbox
Indian Polity’ by M Lakshmikanth
Most reliable and widely read book on the topic is ‘Indian Polity’ by M Lakshmikanth.
- This book is the encyclopedia of Indian Polity for civil services aspirants.
- There is no substitute/option for this book in the market, so do not even think to read any other book as its replacement.
- Revise the complete book at last 5-6 times.
| ???? ?? ??????????? ??. ??????????? |
NCERT books are highly useful in providing the better understanding of Indian Polity in plain simple language.
|Indian Constitution at work, class XI||Amazon||Flipkart|
|Indian politics since Independence, Class XII||Amazon||Flipkart|
|Contemporary world politics, Class XII||Amazon||Flipkart|
Certificate Physical and Human Geography – G C Leong
Great book, which clears the fundamentals of physical geography in easy language. This book will be your foundation to dvelop
Full of images, diagrams.
Geography of India by Majid Husain
Oxford School Atlas
|Social Science The Earth Our Habitat, Class-6||Amazon|
|Social Science Our Environment, Class-7||Amazon|
|Social Science Resources and Development, Class-8||Amazon|
|Social Science Contemporary India Part-I , Class – 9||Amazon|
|Social Science Contemporary India Part – II, Class-10||Amazon|
|Fundamentals of Physical Geography, Class – 11|
|Fundamentals of Human Geography, Class – 12|
(People and economy)
For history, it is recommended that you make your own notes. This will make it easier for you to study and remember.
History of Modern India by Spectrum
- For maximum benefit, read this book word by word.
- This book has content given in points and also has compiled tables at the end of each chapter. Last few pages are to be revised and remembered.
|Ancient India (Old)||Amazon|
|Medieval India (Old)||Amazon|
| Modern ||Amazon|
|Set of NCERT (OLD) HISTORY – CLASS: 6-12||Amazon|
The Indian Economy-by Sanjiv Verma
NCERT & Other Books
|Indian Economic Development for Class – 11||Amazon|
|Introductory Microeconomics – Class – 12||Amazon|
|Introductory Macroeconomics – Class – 12||Amazon|
|Economic Survey by the Ministry of Finance||Amazon|
Art and Culture
Science and technology:
|Science Textbook for Class – VI||Amazon||Flipkart|
|Science Textbook for Class – VII||Amazon||Flipkart|
|Science Textbook for Class – VIII||Amazon||Flipkart|
|Science Textbook for Class – IX||Amazon||Flipkart|
|Science Textbook for Class X||Amazon||Flipkart|
|Science Textbook for Class – XI||Amazon||Flipkart|
|Science Textbook for Class – XII||Amazon||Flipkart|
India Year Book
The Hindu, Economic Times
General Studies Paper 2 by MHE (CSAT)
Must-have Combind books